This is a nice and simple week-night meal that is quick to make and tasty to eat!
Cherry tomatoes are the star of this dish. Tomatoes are probably a staple for most households. Do you know their health benefits?
Tomatoes are the main dietary source of lycopene which is considered to be one of the most powerful anti-oxidants. They are also a great source of Vitamins C & K, potassium and folate. Traditional Chinese Medicine views tomatoes as having a cooling effect on the body that is supportive of our Yin.
This dish also contains:
- Zucchini – provide our bodies with; potassium (great for heart health); vitamin C; vitamins B (folate, B6 & riboflavin); zinc; magnesium; iron; manganese; and phosphorous.
- Garlic – is great for our immune system (‘allicin’ is the major biologically active component of garlic that plays this role). Traditional Chinese Medicine views garlic as a warming food.
- Parsley – the nutritional profile of parsley is quite lengthy. In summary it is a great source of vitamins C, K, A, folate and iron. Traditional Chinese Medicine views parsley as having warming properties and as stimulating digestion.
Roast Tomato, Zucchini and Garlic Pasta
Ingredients: (this quantity fed 2 adults & 1 child and provided leftovers for the same)
Cherry tomatoes x 2 punnets
Zucchini x 2 (sliced)
Garlic Cloves x 2 (minced)
Pasta x 350 grams
Parmesan Cheese – ¾ cup (grated), plus a little extra for serving
Flat-leaf parsley – 1 cup well packed, plus a little extra for serving
½ lemon (juiced)
Salt and pepper
- Place cherry tomatoes, zucchini and minced garlic on baking tray. Drizzle generously with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and mix well with hands. Bake in a 180 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to pack directions, timing it so that pasta is ready at the same time as tomato/zucchini/garlic mix.
- While the pasta and tomatoes are cooking, roughly chop parsley and grate parmesan cheese.
- Drain pasta (saving about 1/8 cup of the pasta water) and place back in saucepan. Add to the pasta; tomato, zucchini & garlic and any juices from tray; parsley; lemon juice; parmesan cheese; reserved pasta water; and season with olive oil salt and pepper.
Serve with reserved parsley and parmesan. If you enjoy chilli, sprinkle some dried chilli flakes on top as well!