Spring has sprung! As the seasons change and the days and nights warm up, we will start looking for lighter meals. Despite this it is still important to support our digestive system with warming, nourishing and satisfying foods.
This salad, which is a weekly staple for us during the warmer months, uses brown rice and roast pumpkin as its base – both are foods that Chinese Medicine views as being very supportive of our digestion. I love this salad because it is really versatile and allows you to vary the ingredients, depending on what is available.
Onto the salad … the first step is to cook the brown rice using your preferred method. It is ideal to cool the rice before making the salad, but isn’t essential if you don’t have time.
I roast the pumpkin, beetroot and cannellini beans (or chickpeas) in a 180 degree oven for about 30 minutes. You don’t have to roast the beans/chickpeas but I love the texture they add to the salad when roasted.
Prepare the rest of the ingredients by blanching the green beans and cutting the feta and herbs.
To make the dressing, I simply add all the ingredients to a jar and give it a good shake.
Once all the ingredients are cooked/prepared I add them and the dressing to a large mixing bowl and mix gently.
I serve with fresh mint …
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 750 grams pumpkin, chopped roughly into small pieces
- 1 large beetroot, chopped roughly into small pieces
- 1 can cannellini beans or chickpeas
- 1½ cups green beans, cut into small lengths
- 100 grams feta cheese, chopped into small cubes
- 5 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- A good handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Fresh mint, for serving
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice ½ lemon
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Cook the rice using your preferred method and place in fridge to cool.
- Place pumpkin and beetroot on roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a 180 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- Place cannelini beans/chick peas on a separate oven tray and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in 180 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Blanch green beans for 2 minutes and then cool.
- Prepare feta cheese and parsley.
- Make dressing by adding all dressing ingredients to a jar and giving it a good shake.
- Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl, pour over dressing, and mix gently.
- Serve with fresh mint.
*This salad served a family of 3 with generous leftovers for all!
Note: this salad is also delicious with boiled eggs and cashew nuts 🙂